July 20 on Spring Street in SoHo NYC, saw the highly-awaited opening of Kendrick Lamar and TDE’s The DAMN. POPUP store. As the tour made its way through the US from Los Angeles to Brooklyn, Kendrick launched a store in every city, meeting fans and bringing a new level of engagement, disrupting the status-quo of the fan-celebrity relationship. The space, sourced by Storefront, was a clean-cut gallery in the heart of SoHo with arty-meets-rugged interiors, classic to the Lower East Side of NY.
- Fandom is real. Fans were queueing hours before the store opening. They were there even before the signage was installed. That’s some serious dedication, the reaction has been similar throughout every city the ‘DAMN.’ pop-up store has touched down in.
- The staff were appropriately gorgeous and a classic representation of young NYC, decked out in exclusive tour apparel. Heavily photographed, this is one of the best ways we’ve seen staff utilized in bringing the brand image to life in a temporary retail store.
- Kendrick arrived donning the NY exclusive merch, and took time to greet the fans who had very patiently waited in 97 degree heat for the store to open.
- Both the shows at the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn were sellout events, the now-famous acapellas of HUMBLE among other tracks flooded Instagram as they have through each night of the highly praised tour.
- ScHoolboy Q’s “Studio Rules” made the cut and were printed across long sleeved tee’s, bringing the TDE family into the fold.
- The in-store sound was sponsored by Sonos, and of course, the DAMN. album played on loop throughout the duration, with a projector looping footage from previous shows and album visuals.
- The collection included long-sleeved shirts, lyric emblazoned tees, hoodies, TED dad-caps exclusive to NYC, and the record in CD and vinyl formats, a collectors dream of limited edition exclusive pieces.
The influx of musicians and artists hosting pop-up stores alongside tours is a growing global trend. The sheer scale of this project reminds us of Kanye’s Life Of Pablo and Yeezus stores.
To learn more about how you can launch your own Pop-Up Store with Storefront, download out Ultimate Pop-Up Guide, which has all the information you need to make your ideas happen.